For those who get a MSCOMCTL.OCX error, please download the MSCOMCTL file and follow the instructions below. Sometimes when you're working with older applications on 64-bit Windows Computer, you may get this error.
1. Download the MSCOMCTL.OCX file directly from Windows using the link below or if you have purchased the BMW Tools Software from us, the file is included in the main software package in the [BMWCodingToolFix] folder.
MSCOMCTL.OCX is part of Visual Basic 6 Package and you can download directly from Microsoft HERE then extract it using 7 Zip.
2. Install MSCOMCTL.OCX. You need to know if you are using a 32bit or 64bit version of Windows and because this is not 2002, we are assuming you want to install it on a 64bit PC. If you try to register MSCOMCTL.OCX (which is 32 bit) on a 64 bit system and you put it in the typical C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32 folder you will get:
[THE MODULE ‘MSCOMTRL.OCX’ WAS LOADED BUT THE CALL TO DLLREGISTERSERVER FAILED WITH ERROR CODE 0X8002801C]
- If you are using 64 bit Windows copy the MSCOMCTL.OCX to C:\WINDOWS\SYSWOW64
(If you are using 32 bit Windows copy MSCOMCTL.OCX to C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32)
- Open a CMD or PowerShell prompt (as an administrator) and change into C:\WINDOWS\SYSWOW64
- Type: regsvr32 mscomctl.ocx
- Then press [Enter]