- OBD Innovations® BMW K + D-CAN USB Cable
- BMW Tools Software Package [Included with K+D-CAN Cable or purchased separate]
- OS: Windows XP 7 8 10 (32/64 bit)
- CD/DVD ROM Drive [If installing from the Software Disc]
- 1 Available USB Port (We recommend using the same USB port each time)
- Minimum 1.2GHz Processor
- Minimum 2GB of RAM
- Basic/Intermediate experience with navigating Windows and installing software/drivers
BMW Tools that will be installed:
- INPA 5.06 (Only Script Files in English)
- EDIABAS 7.3.0
- NCS Expert 4.0.1 (Only Menus and Buttons in English)
- NCS Dummy 0.6.04
- Tool32 4.03
- WinKFP 5.3.1
- BMW Coding Tool v2.5.0 (alternative to NCS Dummy or updating DATEN files)
- Integrated SP-DATEN v53.3 (light version, all you need for coding and diagnostics)
BMW Models Supported: E31, E34, E36, E38, E46, E52, E53, E60, E65, E70, E85, E87, E90, F01, F02, F07, F010, F011, F025, F30
1. Place the disc in your computer and view the contents of the disc or if Software was downloaded, navigate to the downloaded Software folder. Click on the "Setup" file. Click Next, Next and Install to proceed with the installation.
2. Allow several minutes for the installation to complete. Towards the end of the installation, the FTDI drivers will automatically install. Windows may prompt you for permission to proceed. Click Yes. The Device Driver Installation Wizard will pop up. Click Next and accept the license agreement to complete the installation of the FTDI Drivers. Now back to the software installation wizard box, click Finish.
3. The only thing needed to do is to configure your BMW K-CAN D-CAN USB Cable. During the installation, the drivers for the cable were installed. Now plug it in your USB port and Windows should recognize it and begin installing it.
If Windows did not recognize the cable or could not find the correct drivers, see the Troubleshooting section below.
4. Now we need to make sure the cable is using the right port number on your PC
- Go to the "Control Panel" (Start > Control Panel)
- Click on "System" (If System isn't shown, see the top right of the control panel and change the view to Large Icons)
- Click "Device Manager" in System
- Expand the Ports (COM & LPT) in device manager and look for "USB Serial Port (COM X)"
- o X = the default COM port Windows assigned for the cable. We will need to change this to COM 1 in order for it to function properly.
- Right click on "USB Serial Port (COM X)" and click on "Properties". Go to the "Port Settings" tab, then click "Advanced..."
- Change the "COM Port Number" to COM1
- Change the "Latency Timer (msec)" to 1
- Now click OK. If you get a warning that COM1 is being used by another device, click YES and continue to exit out of both windows
5. Test if the Port has been configured correctly. Unplug the USB cable and plug it back into the same port. Navigate to the Device Manager, Ports (COM & LPT) and you should see "USB Serial Port (COM1)". This means you have successfully installed the Drivers and configured the port.
6. Connecting the BMW K-CAN D-CAN Cable to your vehicle: Plug the interface into your car's OBDII port and turn on the ignition. Now start the INPA software from your Desktop shortcut.
If the INPA software detects your vehicle successfully, you will see 2 SOLID Black dots next to "Battery" and "Ignition" headings. After using INPA to test the connection from your car and interface, you can proceed to using the other BMW tools in this package.
Troubleshooting: If Windows did not recognize the cable or could not find the correct drivers, which is sometimes the case for Windows 7 64-bit or Windows 8/10 systems, then you need to install the correct FTDI drivers for your operating system. On the disc, open the FTDI Drivers folder and run the installer. It will automatically detect and install the correct drivers for your computer. Continue from Step 4 of the guide.
Copyright © 2018 OBD Innovations. All rights reserved. Commercial use and distribution of the contents of the website is prohibited without express written consent of the author.